Sunday, July 12, 2009

The End of an Era


My baby girl is on the brink of turning one. It is completely unimaginable to me that it has been a year since I was preparing to go in for a scheduled c-section. I knew very early on in my pregnancy with Corinne that she would be our last baby. She was number three and final. My whole pregnancy was bittersweet. Well, the whole pregnancy was sweet, but it did often creep into my mind that I would never again feel that high of holding my newborn for the first time. I would never prepare another nursery or toss a million names around in my mind. I don't think it really hit me until recently that I would no longer be searching for that first tooth, or waiting for that first roll from back to front. No more first words. No more mid-night feedings. No more coos from a bobble-headed baby. Wow. . . we are entering a new phase in our lives. I should be excited, right?
Okay, there is a little excitement. Especially when I think about going on vacations without a pack-n-play or without an assortment of other things. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will cut our luggage weight in half when Corinne officially departs from baby to toddler. Of course, there will be just as much that I miss as there is that I am looking forward to.
Good-bye baby days. May our future days be just as wonderful as those we leave in the past.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh how sad!!! I don't THINK we want another one but when you put it that way.... ;)

Kate Wicker said...

Happy, happy birthday, Corinne. Cover that sweet girl with kisses, Mom.

Blessings!