Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nolan is the Big 0-5!

It's funny how an hour can creep by but 5 years seems to escape in a millisecond. Nolan turned 5 in April and it was a little strange for me. The only thing I can figure out is that I equate "little ones" with being under 5... pre-Kindergarten. The week leading up to Nolan's big day, it occurred to me that 2 out of 3 of my children weren't so "little" anymore. As much as I love and appreciate the gift of their growth, I also yearn to slow it down for a moment.
Turning 5 was nothing but sweetness for Nolan. He was so excited that he pretty much told every stranger we encountered that his birthday was around the corner and he was "going to be 5 already". In fact, we had his birthday party 5 days before his actual birthday, which obviously means he got 5 extra days of being 5. Our conversations went a little like this:

Me: "Nolan, you're not quite 5 yet bud. You won't be 5 until your actual birthday."
Nolan: "Why did I have a party if I'm not 5? I'm 5."

Point taken. He won that argument. Mom dried up her tears and relented to the fact that her "baby boy" was now 5.
Nolan's party of choice was a basketball party. When asked what all he wanted to do at his basketball party, he answered, "play basketball". I admit, that was a little bit of a dumb question. I just couldn't picture a lot of 4 and 5 year olds playing basketball for two hours. Thankfully I wrong. They loved it! Of course, there was a lot of freeze tag, freeze dance, pin the tail on the donkey, and some plain ol' running all over the place too, but mostly basketball. He scored some great gifts, including a Nintendo DSi XL. I'm embarrassed to say that I like it as much as he does. Glad they didn't have those when I was a kid or I would have been very unproductive.
On Nolan's actual birthday, he got to bring a snack and drink of his choice to share with his class. Of course, he picked donuts with white icing and sprinkles from Lowe's Foods. His beverage of choice was cherry Juicy Juice. He has wanted it for so long and I just wouldn't buy it because I've never liked cherry flavored things. He loved it. :)
Nolan, every day I watch you grow. You have made me one proud mama. You have the kindest heart, the best intentions, a great sense of humor, and you are ridiculously cute. I'm pretty sure no one has ever loved me as much as you do. I am so thankful that you are my son. You are a great big and little brother and have matured so much in this past year. You're manners are impeccable and your smile is infectious. Don't you ever forget how much I love you. - Mom





No comments: